Monday, July 12, 2010

Kick Kick Kick!


We are now in July, and it's been roughly 7 months since I changed the way I eat. My new year's resolution was to do more for the environment, including cutting out meat from my life and only buying local produce wherever possible.

I have found it challenging, particularly having a baby and breastfeeding trying to keep iron and protein levels up is hard! But I feel better for the change and although I still eat seafood, I keep the fish I buy local only and have been surprised that even though I live in a fishing town most of the seafood sold at the local supermarkets are all imported! So even fish has been off the menu unless something local comes in..and I know it was caught sustainably (none of that horrible overfishing thanks!)

On a magazine shoot trip back in Oz over xmas, a friend introduced me to a completely organic supplement called Spirulina:

Spirulina is the richest nutrient and complete food source found in the world. It contains over 100 nutrients, more than any other plant, grain or herb. Today Spirulina is widely used as a food supplement to maintain health, boost energy and reduce weight

Spirulina contains 60-63 % protein, up to 13 % of essence minerals like Calcium, Magnesium, Potassium, Phosphorus, Iron, and Zinc as well as complete vitamin B groups and many important anti-oxidants (which protect cells). The anti-oxidant Phycocyanin can only be found in Spirulina. It is the richest natural source of Vitamin E and beta-carotene.

I buy the powder form and put it in a banana/juice smoothie every morning for Kuni and I which gives us that extra kick we both need in our busy lives and those added nutrients and iron I need to keep up my breastfeeding regime without losing my own strength!

Today I received in the post a second-hand Juicer (I love recycled stuff! Why buy new when you can reduce waste by recycling!) which is all hand operated, so we don't have to worry about electricity which will be good when we move onto our un-finished studio later this month!

Ryder and I were keen to test it out with some rockmelon and the results! Delicious!

The new hand-operated juicer! Thanks Kuni for the lovely present!! xo

Ryder with a mix of vegemite and spirulina juice all over himself...

I must admit I find it tough to maintain an organic lifestyle out in Chiba-most of the farmers spray their crops with pesticides so even the farmer's markets aren't entirely safe...but over on our new land I've planted some of our own herbs and vegies which are thriving! No chemicals used whatsoever and that's the way it should be!



No comments: